Today's talk is How to overcome our biases? Walk boldly toward them by Verna Myers. Our biases can be dangerous, even deadly — as we've seen in the cases of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, and Eric Garner, in Staten Island, New York. Diversity advocate Vernā Myers looks closely at some of the subconscious attitudes we hold toward out-groups. She makes a plea to all people: Acknowledge your biases. Then move toward, not away from, the groups that make you uncomfortable. In a funny, impassioned, important talk, she shows us how.
- What resonated for you in the video?
- What lived experiences do you have, either personally or professionally that align with the core message of the talk?
- As you think of your role as a student, employee, or manager what feels relevant and useful to remember?
- What are you taking away that feels meaningful - either a new perspective, a potential action, etc.
- How might we take better care of ourselves and each other during this time?